[at-l] Glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSN only works for some people (was aging...)

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Mon Sep 4 10:07:59 CDT 2006

Exact reason I started taking them years ago -- a Vet.

At that time my MD doctor was sure that the hype about them was overblown
laymen's reaction to a placebo effect.

I questioned how animals could have a placebo effect, he said try them, they
wouldn't hurt.

I think they helped.  I was able to cut down on the frequency of cortisone
shots.

Now he recommends them to folk, on a "try them, they may help" bases.

And yes, they seemed to help my hands.

Chainsaw

BTW -- I have moderate arthritis and fairly bad bursitis, plus trigger
fingers, some meniscus damage, soft tissue damage in both ankles, and rotator
cuff syndrome -- I'm not sure which is/are being helped.  However, I know I
get around a lot better when I take them and I am not going to do anymore
experiments going off them to see what happens.

BTW2 -- Am I pain free?  No.  Right now I have a bursitis knot the size of a
tennis ball on my right elbow and by rotator cuff is acting up.  I wear custom
orthotics in both shoes, all the time. And, when hiking, custom braces on both
ankles and a OTC brace on my left knee.  But placebo effect, or not, I'm
convinced that glucosamine and chondroitin are a key part of what keeps me
going.  There is no question in my mind that I would not have done my last 500
mile section hike w/o out them.

BTW3 -- Of course, YMMV, as they do not seem to help everyone.  It may be
different problems/causes of their pains.  It may be a placebo effect.  But if
they can "placebo" me into staying active, they are worth the money, IMHO.