[at-l] How was your Labor Day weekend?

Kent Gardam kent_gardam at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 22:23:56 CDT 2006

Ours started decently, went straight downhill, but has thankfully come to a very reassuring end on Tuesday.

  Saturday, we sailed a race in the remnants of Ernesto, very windy, downright cool with big waves but overall very fun.

  Then later Saturday our daughter, her husband and our now three-week old first grandchild came into town for a visit.  Life doesn't get much better for new grandparents!  However, that morning Nolan had started throwing up everything he was fed.  At first the doctor thought it was probably because he had just started on formula after being on breast milk.  But it continued on Sunday.  Monday morning after a sleepless night they headed back to see the pedatrician but on the way the decision was made to take Nolan to Akron Children's Hospital.  There he was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis, a constriction of the muscle that controls passage of food from the stomach to the intestine, thus causing vomiting because there is no where else for the food to go.  The solution is to operate so we were instantly headed to Akron to join Nolan, the parents and the other grandparents.  An uncomfortable night Monday with a visibly weakened and unsettled baby but first thing this morning
 the doctors did laproscopic surgery, it went perfectly and by noon Nolan was eating again and life was getting back to normal.  An amazing turn-around.

  He should be out of the hospital Wednesday morning and we are very thankful to the hospital staff and their skills.  Parents and grandparents don't need that kind of excitement from their offspring.  My wife and I have agreed that the next medical excitement we want from Nolan is when he gets a broken finger playing football in high school!

Nina Rogers <infpeace at gmail.com> wrote:
  Just wondering how everyone's Labor Day weekend went.