[at-l] Late Fall, Early Winter Sleeping Bags

Gary Ticknor garyticknor at starpower.net
Mon Sep 11 11:57:41 CDT 2006

In 30 years of down bags on the East Coast I have never gotten one wet
inside. Only time was in a gully washer in New Mexico, with a bag with a
non-waterproof outer shell. The tent floor flooded; I was in a puddle.
Sponge city :(

Also, you have to be careful. If you are not a careful person, (some of
my best friends, wives, etc), or a tarper, you might consider synthetic.

My current best bag (we have 4ish (5ish?)) is waterproof (it says).
Anyway, spray proof.  I would not use it as a flotation device. It did
not get wet at last year's Gathering. Truly!

BTW, the water shedding ability is due to the outer material, not the
inner down. Check to see what you get with a bag - water resistance is
sometimes an option on bags.

- Greenbriar