[at-l] McTrailing away the choice climbs.... Re: Quick Trip Report / Gallery Posting Query

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Fri Sep 15 14:55:31 CDT 2006

At 10:58 AM 9/15/2006 -0700, toe wrote:

>### I don't know if the route is the same as in '79,
>but all I remember (from a ferocious hazy/hot/humid
>day) is climbing up a barren and featureless slope of
>sharp, fracturous rock, wondering what would happen if
>I slipped -- would the rock simply break away all the
>way to the (close by!) edge???

Here's how it looked on Wednesday afternoon.
Note the blaze.  That really *is* the route.

<http://www.terrapinphoto.com/lehigh.jpg>

Palmerton is a couple miles off to the lower right.
Great trail town!  I got a hitch in no time, and got
a shuttle to Allentown the next AM.

Noon yesterday I was backpacking 42nd Street
between Port Authority to Grand Central, on my trek
home.  It was interesting looking across the Hudson
from the MTA commuter train, at the place where I'd
started my hike!

rafe b
aka terrapin