[at-l] "42" aprroaching Katahdin

Eddy ewker at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 15 17:55:22 CDT 2006

congrats to Nira for doing what so few have done.

   How I long for the day I can do that

  Eddy

Jan Leitschuh <janl2 at mindspring.com> wrote:

A note from lister "42," Nira Duvan, before she heads into her final leg:

"Sorry for the mass email... public library in the back
of the municipal building in the 10 building town of
Monson. Not even a stop light so anything more than
dial up would be a surprise. That and a 30 minute
time limit on the computer makes internetting quite a
challenge.

Monson.

MONSON.

Better known as the very last trail town. Today is my
last Zero day. After this, if I'm not hiking it's
because I'm done. I have 114.5 miles left, the 100
Mile Wilderness, Abol Bridge, then into Baxter State
Park, and up Katahdin. That's it.

It's so weird. I'm excited, nervous, anxious, sad,
exhilerated, proud, and on and on. I can't believe
this journey is almost over. I will miss these days
in small towns, eating gas station pizza, wearing
funny hostel hand me downs (in this case flowered
green and burgandy flowered cotton capri's), drinking
too much, eating enourmous quantities of junk, and
seeing more hiker trash than white trash.

I won't miss waking up in the freezing cold, hiking in
the rain, puddles in my shoes from fording rivers,
eating my millionth poptart/lipton side/clifbar. But
I will miss tenting on a beach on a pond, discovering
the versatility of cream cheese, and laughing with
trail friends about the way my socks smell...like
death. Really, they smell like death.

If the weather is good I'll be summitting on Sept 23,
8 days from now. My dad is joining me for the summit,
along with a good crew of trail family. I'll be
thinking of you all. Please send me good juju on the
23rd...pray to the sun gods, do a pretty weather
dance.

To the summit I'm carrying a pale yellow silk scarf, a
nickel, a small bag of wildflower seeds, a bottle of
champaigne, along with the best kind of trail magic
there is...knowing that I have your support.

lovies,
42 aka nira"

Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves
http://community.webshots.com/user/ewker