[at-l] GPS Questions

Michael O. Hanson mhanson at winternet.com
Wed Sep 20 08:56:35 CDT 2006

Please accept my apologies for the length of this post.  I am blind.  I am
considering hiking the Appalachian Trail using adapted GPS to get
information about my location, the location of shelters, water sources,
access points, the direction I need to travel and other information.  I am
thinking of starting in March, 2007 or 2008.  The start date depends on how
quickly I can gather required information and become familiar enough with
available data and GPS systems, among other considerations.  I am in contact
with the Appalachian Trail Conference, the Appalachian Trail Institute and
other AT-related organizations.

I am considering hiking south to north.  I understand hiking south to north
allows for a start in Georgia, where weather is likely to be relatively
mild.  Starting in Maine and hiking north to south could expose me to less
mild weather at the start and subject me to delays until certain state parks
open.  That might also expose me to less mild weather at the end of the
hike.

Use of good GPS data will allow me to overcome some obstacles that could
prove difficult.  These include finding shelters, water sources, campsites,
changes in direction, dealing with forks in the trail, dealing with
intersecting trails, locating access points and nearby towns and similar
issues.  GPS data allow users to overcome similar obstacles in urban
settings.  Depending on the accuracy of available data, it can allow users
to navigate successfully without referring to street signs and other
information not readily available to people who are blind.

I understand Bill Irwin hiked the AT using a Seeing Eye dog in 1990.
Therefore, I do not consider such a hike impossible due to my disability.

I have done enough backpacking and have enough wilderness experience to
estimate physical demands, physical training requirements, weather
conditions I am likely to encounter, food requirements and similar
considerations.  My questions are more specific to the AT and the unique
challenges of extended wilderness travel, including the need to resupply
frequently enough to make such a hike possible.

First, how do people raise money for such a hike?  What methods have hikers
used?  I understand it takes something like six months and costs about
$6,000 to $10,000.  My figures could be out of date.  Costs probably depend
on equipment the hiker has and other factors, making exact figures difficult
to obtain.

Second, have people turned AT hikes into sources of income?  I understand
hiking the AT is more than a money-making venture.  Having said that, I am
not independently wealthy.  The need for income after completing such a hike
is a consideration.  Writing about the experience is the most obvious method
I can think of at this time.

Third, how do hikers resupply with food and other items requiring frequent
replacement?  I understand mailing food and other items to points along the
AT is a common practice.  Purchasing items along the way is another option.

Fourth, does anybody know of accurate sources of GPS data for such a hike?
I am looking for information about shelter and campsite locations, water
sources, locations of access points and similar information.  Descriptions
of difficult terrain features would also be useful.  I understand there are
some fairly difficult sections, including rock fields and narrow ledges
requiring some skill to deal with successfully.

Fifth, if such information is available, what file formats is it in?  If
list members do not know, I can probably find out for myself.  Text format
is ideal.  File conversion is an option if information is not available in
text format.

Sixth, has anybody hiked the AT using GPS data?  If so, how did it work?  I
understand considerations such as quality of the GPS receiver and system,
battery life and the need to prevent damage due to weather, exposure to
water and similar factors.  I am interested in relatively current
assessments of the quality, accuracy and limitations of available data.

Thank You,

Mike Hanson