[at-l] Fwd: pt 2: A question of money: estimation of throughhike costs

Art Cloutman art at crystalacresnh.com
Wed Sep 20 11:26:42 CDT 2006

WOW,  does anyone do 18 days between mail drops/resupply/towns?  I
tried to get maildrops as often as possible.  Sometimes after 2 or 3
days.  I had drops mailed to hostels, outfitters, campgrounds, like
Neel's Gap, Rainbow Springs Campground, Elmer's,  I rarely used a
post office.  I made a maildrop to a hardware store in Stratton
Maine.  Miss Janet accepted a maildrop for me.  Believed it our not I
had 42 mail drops.  It is probably some kind of record.  I carried at
most 6 days worth of food.  I had a maildrop in 100 mile wilderness
at Whitehouse Landing but almost ran out of food before then when
foul weather slowed the hiking down by a couple of days.  But, just
as I ran out of food I found trail magic in the form of "Knuckles"
waiting for her hiking partner on a logging road and she had several
days worth of extra food that she gave me including mac and cheese,
tuna fish, hot chocolate  and a lot more goodies.

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman