[at-l] maildrops...gear

Eddy ewker at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 20 23:23:28 CDT 2006

changing the subject to gear maildrops.

  I hear people talking about swapping some gear out along the way. I really don't totally understand why .
  One being a sleeping bag. For example I have a 15° down bag that weighs 1.5 lbs.  I could swap it out for my 45° down bag that weighs the same..so why swap? I can always sleep on top of my 15° bag when it gets to warm

  Clothing is another thing. What clothes would you swap other than a down jacket and a mid weight base layer and other winter items. If your wearing pants with zip off legs in the early winter just zip them off in the summer. You are carrying these items to start with so why swap only to  get them back when you hit the northeastern states. Does it help that much during the middle of the hike?

  Hope what i said doesn't sound to dumb

  Any comments, thought, ideas will be appreciated

  Eddy