[at-l] maildrops...gear

Dennis Gass dennis at katom.com
Thu Sep 21 10:33:20 CDT 2006

Eddy,

What kind of 15 degree bag do you have?  1.5 pounds is pretty light.  Are you happy with it?  Have you slept comfortably in it with the temperature in the teens and the wind howling?  The reason I ask:  A few years ago I was asked to help train a half dozen teenagers in multi week winter backpacking.  My son was one of them.  They were going on a two week trip during winter break up the AT.  One of the guys had found a really light weight 15 degree bag, but when I looked at it there wasn't much loft.  Sure enough, right on the outside of the bag it said 15 degrees.  I went home after the weekend training trip and looked it up, it was a LaFuma (or something close to that) 15 degree Celsius bag.  He would have been very uncomfortable and probably in danger on the two week trip where the temps got below zero Fahrenheit on them.

Most of us have a decent difference of weight in our winter and warmer weather sleeping bags.  I would save a little more than a pound by swapping bags.

Trailwind