[at-l] Fwd: The Birches...

Snodrog5 at aol.com Snodrog5 at aol.com
Thu Sep 21 16:19:39 CDT 2006

In a message dated 9/21/2006 4:49:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
athiker at smithville.net writes:

>dives down through a mud hole and comes out where the old lean-tos
> used to stand.

Why not a 'southbounder only'  campground right here?  Sounds good to me.

---------
The hikers were moved away from Daicey Pond Campground to a spot where they
could be better monitored. The new Ranger cabin at Daicey is being built in
the  field by the old lean-tos, so the monitoring issue wouldn't still hold, but
all  the other Park reasons for having sobos reserve spots still would be
there.
Some will remember the old Park boundary line on the AT? Where the big
'Welcome to Baxter' sign was? That was a great stealth camping site, flat and
raised on a dry shelf, soft pine-needle forest floor, a swimming hole, -  sweet
site. That's where I'd have placed the Birches, but Buzz never asked me  :O)
Teej