[at-l] Base Weights - Survey?

Logan Park park at vt.edu
Fri Sep 22 20:33:28 CDT 2006

> Pack    68 oz

This is a low-hanging fruit for weight reduction, boss.
> (short) thermarest in stuff sack 18.6

A number of lighter packs derive their structural support from foam pads
(< 16 oz), meaning you don't have to pay the weight of a thermarest, nor
the weight of metal or plastic support in the pack.  I like Gossamer
Gear's Mariposa for these reasons, though you could certainly find lighter.
> tent Sierra Lightyear in stuff sack 53.5

Consider tents that use your hiking poles for support instead of
requiring dedicated poles.  Again, one way to save weight is to make
gear perform multiple roles.
> "slumberjack" down bag in stuff sack 34.5 (summer-weight)
> pack cover 8.6
> -> Total of these 4 items: 183.2 oz (11.4 lbs)
>
> MSR water filter 19

Aqua Mira.  Nuff said.
Now about all the other items liste.... hey, shiny object!

Hoplite