[at-l] Fontana Village is nice

Mark Paterick mspaterick at charter.net
Fri Sep 22 20:38:23 CDT 2006

Hey Everyone

    Fontana village is a nice place I have been there many times.    They have everything you need but at high prices. Early in the Spring they are closed and late in the Fall after The leaves fall it becomes a ghost town.  That was in the past, the new owners might have changed that but I know the Hike Inn is a sure bet for being open.   The Hike Inn http://www.thehikeinn.netfirms.com/   is owned and operated buy Jeff and Nancy Hoch.  They are very hiker friendly and will shuttle you any place you need to go.  They will take you to the nearest town to get resupplied for normal prices, wash your cloths, rent you a room etc.
    I meet Jeff and Nancy when I bailed out in 96 a Stecoah gap.  Nancy shuttled me to the Dam for free to meet my ride.  I have also used Jeff for shuttles around the smokies and he treated me very well.

In my opinion I would skip Fontana village all together allot, of motor tourist go there.

The Hike Inn is for hikers only in the Spring.

If you get off the AT at Stecoah Gap and go about 1/2 mile to Hwy 28 the locals will get you to The Hike Inn which is about 2 or 3 miles from the intersection.

I can't say enough good things about the people and the place.

Regards
The Other One