[at-l] Base Weights - Survey?

Gary Ticknor garyticknor at starpower.net
Fri Sep 22 21:37:17 CDT 2006

Terrapin writes:
> Pack    68 oz                                     4# 4
> (short) thermarest in stuff sack 18.6             1# 3
> tent Sierra Lightyear in stuff sack 53.5          3# 6
> "slumberjack" down bag in stuff sack 34.5         2# 3
> pack cover 8.6                                       9
> -> Total of these 4 items: 183.2 oz (11.4 lbs)

The big 3: pack, bag, tent!

I used external frame packs for 25 years - I loved the compartments and
the support. Got sick of the way they started to get made more and more
cheaply and fell apart after a month of hiking. I use a home made G-4
now and love it. It weighs 1#1oz.

If you have to have a thermarest to get a good night's sleep, you are
stuck. But at least try a light pad. No, it isn't as comfortable as a
thermarest - to sleep on. But it is a lot more comfortable carrying ;)
And it's pretty comfortable. And nice and warm.

If you really want to cut down weight you need to try a different tent.
I have gone over to single wall tents, and learned to deal with the
condensation.Water- resistant/proof shell material on the bag helps
tremendously.

Is the 1/2 pound pack cover really worth it? Ever tried a trash bag
instead - they really work. Myself, I gave up on pack covers. I
safeguard my bag and clothes in mylar turkey roasting bags and let the
rest get as wet as they want - the G-4 keeps things pretty dry, and who
cares if the platypi, say, get wet? Or my baseball hat - it gets wet
enough in the rain pretty soon anyway.

BTW, stuff sacks are heavy.  Try to find some made from silnylon if you can.
> MSR water filter 19                               1# 3
> Stove+fuel bottle+screen+spoon+pot++mug 27.2      1#11
> Nalgene Qt. bottles (3 @4.1ea)                      12
> Camera 11                                           11
> --> Total of this group = 69.5 oz (4.3 lbs.)

That is one heavy water filter. As Hoplite mentioned, Aqua Mira or even
Clorox gets the job done.  Two 2 1/5 liter platypus (NOT the wide mouth
type, the light weight type) plus a 1 liter soda bottle gives you 6
liters of water for 5 ounces - that beats 12 ounces for the two 1 quart
Nalgenes.
> CLOTHING (in pack)
> 2 pr undies 6 oz.
> long polypro undies top+bottom 15
> 3 pr hiking sox 10
> long sleeve flannel (acrylic) shirt 16
> fleece gloves & hat 5.3
> wash towel 3.6
> nylon rain jacket 6
> Gators 5.3
> Seattle Sombrero 4
> --> Total of this group: 71.2 oz (4.5 lbs)

This is about 1 1/2 lbs more than I carry, and I feel I am acting
responsibly. Do you need fleece gloves and hat for summer?  Are the
gators worth the weight penalty? 3 pairs of socks plus one worn? I feel
sinful carrying 2 plus wearing 1.
> Between these three groups, there are 20.2 lbs.
> accounted for.  The rest is small & sundry items --
> bear rope, headlamp, repair kits, first aid and
> emergency stuff etc.
>
> The pack is an *ancient* Camp Trails Adjustable II,
> which I have tried several times to "upgrade" from --
> with no success.  Almost 100% of my AT hiking (1589
> miles to date) has been with this pack -- and most
> of the rest of the kit, pretty much as listed above.

I am very happy with my G-4. It is light, roomy and accessible. You
might get to like a lighter pack - try one.

Hope this helps.

- Greenbriar