[at-l] Base Weights - Survey?

Gary Ticknor garyticknor at starpower.net
Fri Sep 22 22:01:34 CDT 2006

Raphael Bustin wrote:
>  Hoplite wrote:
>
>>> Pack    68 oz
>>>
>> This is a low-hanging fruit for weight reduction, boss.
>>

> You would think so, but so far, no.
> All my trials with internal-frame packs
> have been disastrous.

What have you tried? In what way disastrous? There are internal frame
packs and there are internal frame packs.
> And most of
> what I've seen at REI and EMS is just
> as heavy.

I concur - most internal packs seem WAY overbuilt! Look into the
lightweight pack instead. Do a Google search, but be skeptical if a
big-name manufacturer shows up.
>>> Consider tents that use your hiking poles for support ...
>>>

> How quick to set up?

Who cares?  So they take 4 minutes instead of 2. At that point you're
already wet, a few more drops won't matter.
> How dry?

I am a fanatic on dry. I am not (unlike, say 'Toe) a tarper. ( A Toe
tarper? Sorry...) But you can stay absolutely dry under say 2.5 pounds
of tent. Look around.
> How bug-free?  How much room?

Bug free. I'm not talking tarp. But again, consider, how bug free is a
shelter? And most of us prefer a non-leaky, non-crowded shelter every
time - ahhh, room to spread out!
> I expect a 100% dry & bug-free night, under any conditions.
> The pack need not be inside.

Agreed. You still don't need 4 pounds of tent. Go Internet shopping! Or
learn to sew - it's not that hard if you don't worry too much about pretty.
>>> ...MSR water filter 19
>>>
>> Aqua Mira.  Nuff said.
>>

> Long-term?  I carry "Potable Aqua" in case the
> filter craps out -- but I'd rather not have to treat
> water chemically, day in and day out.

Well then, at least come up with something better than a 1 pound + water
filter.
> ...the camera is non-negotiable. It's my penance.

So keep the camera - te absolvo ;)

- Greenbriar