[at-l] Mindset first! Re: Base Weights - Survey?

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 07:48:14 CDT 2006

--- Raphael Bustin <rafeb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> At 09:33 PM 9/22/2006 -0400, Hoplite wrote:
> >>Pack    68 oz
> >>
> >This is a low-hanging fruit for weight reduction,
> boss.
>
> You would think so, but so far, no.
### He knows so. Stop monkeying around. You protest
your packweight, then lay condition upon condition
about how you're not going to change. This is
backpacking: We pack our fears. Ergo, "Fearless" gear
is dang heavy. If you're going to lighten your pack,
your going to need to change your mindset first. And
if you go to REI or EMS, you are going to be buying
dweebware -- way costly; way heavy. Except for
sleeping bags, most lightweight gear is less costly
(some WAY less costly) than dweebware.

1) Watch Lynn Wheldon's Lightweight Backpacking video.
Don't dismiss what goes on there.
2) Lighten the rest of your pack load first.
3) Recognize that lightweight backpacking takes some
(SOME, not ALOT) of thought: your load IS your
suspension.
4) Buy the pack that packs your load.
5) Walk far.

sloetoe