[at-l] Mindset first! Yes, I understand.

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 23 09:11:26 CDT 2006

--- Raphael Bustin <rafeb at speakeasy.net> wrote:

> Toe, I appreciate your concern but please bear in
> mind I wasn't specifically asking for advice but
> rather to know what *other folks* aim for in base
pack weight.

### Well put.

> You and I will never agree on the "proper" degree
> of deprivation expected on a hike.  So be it.
### Done.

> I may never hit 10 lbs base weight, and that's
> fine.  Any significant reduction is welcome --
> if it comes without horrific deprivation.
### Me is a weenie, dude. Trust me on that.

> Please don't think for a moment I haven't *tried*
> to ditch that 20 year old Camp Trails pack, or
> looked for a lighter alternative to my Thermarest.
### Pads: two Mt. Washingtons (Gossamer Gear, now)
would beat the pants off Thermarest, and save you
weight, time, and trouble. (HA! But not bulk.)

### Packs:
Nothing beat my circa 1974 Alpine Designs pack for
comfort until a 7 pound Dana Designs pack which,
thankfully, I never got to... Until a 3 pound
Mountainsmith, which wasn't quite the bag I wanted,
and then, for $80, a "cheapo" model from Lowe Alpine,
at 4.5 pounds. Carried 55 pounds comfortably in it
multiple times. Then came the 2 pound "sloetoe
special" Moonbowgear GearSkin. STILL carries 55 pounds
as comfy. Look.

> I *do* appreciate the advice, the discussion and
> the links and tips that you and others have given.
> Please keep 'em coming.
### Will do.

> I may not jump at every suggestion, but I will
> consider all of them carefully.
### RE-consider, maybe???? Just, you know.. thinking.

> It's clear that REI and EMS are not the best
> sources for ultralight gear.  The links to vendors
> have been very helpful.
### I'll post a great list right now.

### Sorry I morphed your gear survey into advice,
rafe. But keep that mind open, ok?

toe

Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.