[at-l] 2-3 day hikes in new england?

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 23 15:00:16 CDT 2006

At 02:15 PM 9/23/2006 -0400, Jay wrote:

>Thanks for replying.
>
>I don't care where it is. We just seriously didn't get out enough this
>year, and I want to make up for it. We were living in PA for the past
>few years, and didn't really have a shortage of trails!

If you want to discuss hikes on the AT in New England,
and in the Whites, well... where to begin?
It's all pretty magnificent.  And crowded.  And the weather
in the high peaks can be fierce -- any time of year.

If you've never done it, here are two phenomenal hikes
each fit for one day.  Or do both for an awesome weekend.

1. Mt. Moosilauke, from Glencliff to Rte 112.
2. Franconia Ridge, eg., up Liberty Springs,
down Falling waters or Bridle Path, etc. etc.

These two hikes got me hooked on hiking and are
why I chose to live in NE.  (Ocean is nice, too.)

You can shelter at Beaver Brook for free (IIRC)
but once you cross Rte. 93 nobo, the AMC
starts charging for their facilities.

The Presidential Range has the highest peaks,
the hardest climbs, toughest weather, biggest
crowds, a road and a cog railway to the summit
of the highest peak.   Try the Carter-Moriah
range (across the valley) for just-as-nice but
a-lot-less-crowded.  As you go north from there
it gets even better (less crowded, and more wild.)

"Stealth" camping is nearly impossible on the AT in
the Whites.  If you're so inclined, do so on the blue
trails.  The AMC really takes great pains to
discourage "free" camping on their turf.  To the
point of having lots of ridge runners and enforcers.
If a site looks good and is visible from the trail,
chances are it's off-limits to camping.

Hiking in MA is seriously tame and lame by
comparison.  Greylock is pleasant and has good
views.  Mt. Monadnock also has incredible views
and is a very popular site.  (It's near Keene, NH.)

There is also the mid-state trail through MA
and some of southern NH.  Mt. Watatic is part
of that network.  Nice hike.

rafe b
aka terrapin