[at-l] What's backpacking mean to you?

Logan Park park at vt.edu
Sat Sep 23 20:10:13 CDT 2006

Here I sit on a Saturday night relearning differential eq math, so I can
simulate hikers in computer models.  Not my idea of fun.  Figured it
would help to remind myself why all this work is worth it in the first
place.

So let's hear it!  What makes you walk out onto a trail time and again,
knowing you're gonna be gross by the end, tired, etc.?  Is it, like for
Tin Man, a chance to reconnect with the God of your youth?  Or, like for
me, a chance to prove to yourself you 'have what it takes'?  Or probably
something else?

Hoplite