[at-l] Base Weights - Survey?

tinman at antigravitygear.com tinman at antigravitygear.com
Sun Sep 24 10:40:45 CDT 2006

> I cannot get the hang of alcohol stoves.  I don't know what
> it is.  1 oz of alcohol doesn't come close to boiling the water
> for Liptons.  This (alas) includes the stove you sent me way
> back when.
>
> I've already got the Tarp-Tent in my sights, thanks to you
> and Toe and others.  Good tip, there.
>
> I don't need ultralight.  I'd be happy cutting base weight to
> (say) 15 lbs or so, which strikes me as a more realistic goal.

Rafe,
Send me an email off line with your phone number and a good time to call
and I will be happy to troubleshoot your alcohol stove issues.  I used my
stove in the hut at Muir Pass at almost 12,000 and again at Mt Whitney at
14,500 and in both times boiled 2 cups of water on less than 1 ounce in
5min02 sec and 5 min 08 seconds.

I used Brawney's Tent and it weighs 1 pound 5 ounces with stuff sack and 7
ti stakes.  It is very comfortable and has a floor and bug netting.  Alas,
she no longer makes them and has moved on to other things in her life.  I
have a tent design I am prototyping that will hopefully come in at unter
1.5 pounds and give better ventilation and storm protection.  You can't
get simpler and lighter than her shelter, though.

I took a Katahdin pack that weighed 1+10 oz because I planned to resupply
at the 1/2 way point and needed to carry up to 10 days of food and wanted
a pack that would be comfortable at 28 pounds.  I choose that pack over my
Fanatic Fringe (10.5 oz) and believe now that the FF pack would have been
just fine because I would not have needed that much food.  I didn't know
that when planning in the comfort of home.  My Gregory G pack weighs 3
pounds even.

I use a Western Mountaineering 30 F bag that weighs 1 +10 and a sleeping
pad from Gossamer Gear that I think weighs 4 oz but can't remember and am
out of town right now.  My total big 3 weight was 4 + 12  What kicked the
weight up for me was having to carry a bear proof food bag.  I took the
Ursack because it was the lightest but could have saved another 1.5 pounds
by just hanging my food in a silnylon bag like I have for the last 30
years.
Tin Man