[at-l] maildrops...gear

TrailR at aol.com TrailR at aol.com
Sun Sep 24 12:16:58 CDT 2006

In a message dated 9/21/2006 11:31:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dennis at katom.com writes:
Eddy,

What kind of 15 degree bag do you have?  1.5 pounds is pretty light.  Are you
happy with it?  Have you slept comfortably in it with the temperature in the
teens and the wind howling?  The reason I ask:  A few years ago I was asked to
help train a half dozen teenagers in multi week winter backpacking.  My son
was one of them.  They were going on a two week trip during winter break up the
AT.  One of the guys had found a really light weight 15 degree bag, but when
I looked at it there wasn't much loft.  Sure enough, right on the outside of
the bag it said 15 degrees.  I went home after the weekend training trip and
looked it up, it was a LaFuma (or something close to that) 15 degree Celsius
bag.  He would have been very uncomfortable and probably in danger on the two
week trip where the temps got below zero Fahrenheit on them.

Most of us have a decent difference of weight in our winter and warmer
weather sleeping bags.  I would save a little more than a pound by swapping bags.
**

My 40 degree summer bag was a Lafuma bag (down). It seemed sort of close to
what
it was rated at. Killington at 40 degrees was an adventure in it, with
howling winds,
rain (in the shelter and out), and fog (wearing long johns). It only weighed
a pound, so I made it work.

hotdog