[at-l] Pack weights of yesteryear

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Sun Sep 24 23:09:18 CDT 2006

At 06:48 PM 9/24/2006 -0700, Toe wrote:

>--- Raphael Bustin <rafeb at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
> > No question about it.
>
>### Big questions about it. You're confusing issues.

No, toe.  Please don't take me for a fool.
I understand the notion of *base weight*
and that's all we need to talk about.

The burden is on you to show that pack
*base weights* in 1990 or earlier were
anywhere near current "ultralight" targets.

You can't because it just wasn't so.
Not when pack *total* weights were
averaging 50 lbs.

I am *not* debating the wisdom of ultralight.
I am talking about the timing of it -- its general
acceptance among long-distance hikers.

And I'm saying, in 1990, it had not yet arrived.
It hadn't even been considered, except maybe
by Ward Leonard and a handful of others.

When was Jardine's book *first* published?
I'm asking honestly.  All I know is that I wasn't
aware of Jardine until after '90.

I can assure you, Colin Fletcher was no
ultralighter.  For crying out loud -- those
were the days of custom-made Peter Limmer
boots.  Or am I talking pre-history now?

rafe b
aka terrapin