[at-l] Base weight

greyowl at rcn.com greyowl at rcn.com
Mon Sep 25 12:14:46 CDT 2006

This is a very interesting discussion and I have learned a lot.  One thing that I know for a fact is that comfort level is an important factor.  When I day hike the AT locally I carry just some water and food in a jacket pocket (it is getting cool here).  The most that I have ever carried is a tent sleeping back and two days of food when the weather was nasty.  You just don't know.  It is not difficult to get the base weight down and the trick is to not get it too low to be dangerous.

Back when there was a wilderness, the heaviest item was a rifle.  Other items carried was a little parched corn, a knife and a blanket roll.  The first people went even ligther using a bow and arrow.  No, ultralight is not a new idea, it has been around for centuries.  Ultra-heavy, on the other hand, is a fairly new concept.

I personally try to keep my pack weight around 25 #'s, that includes water, 4 days of food.  I carry a water filter, because I know from experience what is in the water you all are drinking.

Bob