[at-l] Pack weights of yesteryear

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 25 12:17:14 CDT 2006

I was gone for the weekend so only skimmed this thread so I'm not sure if
some of this came up...

Some earlier hikers may have saved weight by not carrying sleeping pads
(used pine boughs), perhaps forgoing tents (fewer hikers competing for space
in the shelters), and maybe using cooking fires instead of stoves (hot coals
are good for cooking).  Also, they may have planned shorter hiking periods
(4-5 months) and therefore needed less in the way of cold weather gear.

FWIW, my base weight in '99 was 28 pounds.  By 2001, I pared that down to 14
pounds.  Wish I had done that BEFORE my thruhike.

Just thinking out loud...  err, you know what I mean...

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor