[at-l] Sleeping Pad Puzzle

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 26 20:44:10 CDT 2006

Let's say I wanna use something like the "Luna pad"
which I guess is the successor to the "Mt Washington."
I'm a sucker for comfort, what can I say.  I'm talking
about those thick, soft-foam 3/4 length jobbers that
weight 8 oz.  [Compared to Thermarest at 18 oz.]

In a frameless "ultralight" pack, the idea is that you
use the pad as the structure of the pack, right?
The pad lines the inside of the pack, as I understand it.

So.. doesn't the pad take up an enormous volume
inside the pack?  Does this imply an oversized pack?

I'm used to carrying tent/bag/pad outside my pack,
so I've never really had to consider this issue.

It's always been a mystery to me how these three
items are s'posed to fit *inside* a pack.  The down
bag is no problem, and a tent (without poles) is no
problem... but the sleeping pad???

rafe b
aka terrapin