[at-l] Packing a Platy

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Tue Sep 26 21:41:09 CDT 2006

Three seasons, I drink from a hydration system, using one of the three
one-liter bags which I carry.

When I switched from bottles a few years ago, I started using one three-litter
on line all the time.  However, as it was out of sight I never knew how much
water I had left.  When I got to a water source, I never knew how much water I
had left w/o taking off my pack and getting out the bag.  "Do I need to
resupply, or keep hiking to the next source?"

So I switched to one-liter bags.  Now I know.  "I'm still on the first liter."
vs.  "I switch to my last bag."  Etc.

Chainsaw

BTW -- I seldom fill all three, unless I know I am in for a long dry segment.
Sometimes I carry two partially filled, or one filled and one partially
filled.

BTW2 -- I still use bottles in winter, since the line in my hydration system
froze on me and because bottles are easier to thaw/keep unfrozen longer.  Tip:
Water freezes from the top down.  So the lid is the last to freeze on a bottle
stowed lid down.  Tip2:  On cold winter nights, unless there is good snow
available, I keep a couple inches of water in my cook pot.  If every thing
freezes solid, I can put the metal pot on the stove to melt/heat.  I can then
set the bottle in the hot water, lid down, to thaw it out to open, etc.