[at-l] [BackpackingLight] Re: Does dew get on everything?

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 26 23:07:35 CDT 2006

At 03:23 AM 9/27/2006 +0000, Dan B. wrote:

>The alternative is a double-layer tent: nice, but most of em weigh 4 or
>5 lbs.  When camping with my spouse we'll use our clip flashlight
>tent,  which comes out to around 2 1/2 lbs apiece.  Heavy but dry
>inside.

Some cheap "alternative" tents go down to 3 lbs.
or less.  All figures below are "packaged weights."

Eureka Solitaire 3 lbs. 4 oz.
Eureka Gossamer (old)  3 lbs even
MSR Microzoid 2 lbs. 13 oz.
Sierra Designs Lightyear 3 lbs 4 oz.

The 2nd-lightest of these is the old Eureka
Gossamer.  A great tent, but not so spacious.
No footprint or ground cloth needed.
No condensation.  It's extreme shelter if you
need it - or use w/o fly in nice weather.

The Lightyear is just a scaled down version
of your Clip Flashlight.  I'll bet I could shave
4 oz. by ripping out those nice interior
pockets.... but they're so handy...

rafe b
aka terrapin