[at-l] Pack weights of yesteryear

Black Wolfe blackwolfe at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 27 05:15:36 CDT 2006

> How many of those who hiked 30 years ago are still doing so?
> How many of those who hiked 15 years ago are still doing so?

Church summer camp, the then new wilderness group, summer of 1967.  I knew I
wanted to backpack before that, but that was the first time I was able to do
it.

3 nights of which were spent backpacking.  Yukon packframes, Yucca pack
bags, blankets and a plastic dropcloth for me.  Some of the kids had high
dollar down bags and fancy tents.  After the storm, I needed no drying out!
One of my early lessons in, "it's not what you've got, it's how you use it."

There have been some dry years, what with high school, an ex-wife who
thought you needed a RV to camp, children who learned otherwise, injuries,
etc.  Last summer I knocked off Springer Mountain to Fontana Dam.  (I am
near or over 25% of AT covered now.)  It felt good, but I ran out of time
before I ran out of desire.  Back in school again now and missing the woods
already.

Black Wolfe,
Bruce W.