[at-l] Packing a backpack.

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Wed Sep 27 08:14:33 CDT 2006

At 01:28 AM 9/27/2006 -0500, Tomman wrote:

>I know that most of the books and articles say you should not hang
>anything on the outside of your backpack.  That is find but it seems to
>me that by placing some items on the bottom, top or the sides  you could
>use a smaller size pack and thus less weight.
>
>I was thinking about the sleeping pad on the bottom and possibly the
>tent,( don't shoot me Toe) on top and the tent poles and stakes on the
>side.  That could free up a lot of space in the pack so I could go with
>a much smaller size pack.  These items of course will be in silnylon
>waterproof bags.
>
>Has any one tried this?  If so how did it work out?

Good points, Tom.  It's a fact that the pack
should have a slim profile.  Loose items are a pain
around blowdowns and in places like Lemon
Squeezer and Mahoosuc or "off trail."

Items in pack pockets are less of a problem.
At the very least they *must not* swing around.

I've seen lots of folks carrying sleeping pads
outside their packs.  That's not at all uncommon.
Vertically is better than across (slim profile.)

One of my concerns with light and ultralight
packs is that they don't have exterior pockets.
I've always admired the sleek look of internal-
frame packs.  I just don't get the logistics of it.

I don't worry about waterproofing, except for
the down bag.  And there, all you need is a
kitchen trash bag.

My pack isn't much to look at, but it's been
quite functional -- with tent, pad, and
sleeping bag strapped securely underneath
the main compartment.

It's not perfect but it's reliable and functional.
If it were 2 lbs instead of 4, I'd call it perfect,
except for the profile.

rafe b
aka terrapin