[at-l] Cold Weather Backpacking (was packing a platy)

Carla & Dave Hicks daveh at psknet.com
Wed Sep 27 21:20:40 CDT 2006

I hike in boots now.  (Went from boots, in the '50s to mid '70s, to shoes from
mid '70s to '03; then back to boots -- as the results of breaking an ankle and
then hiking Maine and NH too soon.)

Now, as in the earlier boot hiking, I let the boots freeze.  I just make sure
that the laces are unlaced enough to get them on and I prop them open
front-to-back and side-to-side with short sticks.

In the AM I can slip them on, tighten them as well as the frozen laces allow,
and hike them thaw.  Just remember to stop and re-tighten the laces, as
needed.

Works well for me.

However YMMV.

Chainsaw