[at-l] "Back then..." comparisons 1979-2004

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Thu Sep 28 07:24:16 CDT 2006

At 07:06 AM 9/28/2006 -0400, Mara wrote:

>FWIW, the Barefoot Sisters carried a zip-stove in 2000(sobo) and
>2001(nobo).  I did a small section with them near the end of their
>northbound hike (NH/ME border).  We camped in the rain and they broke out
>their stove.  They didn't seem to have any problems finding fuel.  Just
>looked under the protective cover of evergreens, etc.
>
>Still, it was big, bulky, used batteries (one battery probably weighs more
>than my alcohol stove), but then they didn't have to carry fuel.  I think
>it's a 15 ounce  stove. plus battery weight but no extra fuel weight.
>Perhaps for two, not carrying fuel makes it effective but you have to be
>willing to hunt scraps (pine cones and small pieces of wood) to burn.
>
>There's now web sites with info on how to make the zip stove lighter,
>maybe bringing the weight down to 8 oz or so.

AA batteries weigh 0.8 oz according to
my scale.  The Zip uses one AA battery
which is claimed to last for 6 hours of use.

I don't/didn't mean to diss the Zip stove.
It certainly has its advantages, but it is
intensely "labor intensive," in my
experience.  It will provide good
practice for one's fire-starting skills.

There's a titanium version available, for
extra $$ that weighs 10 oz.  (The
standard unit is 15 oz.)

Before I use mine again, I need to
determine (with an ammeter) whether
the fan's current consumption is within
range.  I'm afraid mine was damaged
somehow.  The 2nd battery drew down
much more quickly than the first.

An evening at a shelter in CT last summer
kinda soured me on the Zip.  There were
two thrus at the shelter each using JetBoil
stoves.  The contrast could not have been
more extreme.

[But you know, must of the "unhappiness"
I feel on the trail comes from comparing
my speed/distance/gear/etc. with those
of other hikers.]

 From all I've seen and read -- alcohol
stoves seem to be the overwhelming
choice for current throos.  One of these
nights I'll call TinMan and have him
"coach" me through this very mysterious
process.

rafe b