[at-l] Night pad thicknesseseses Re: Line Up! Re: "Back then..." comparisons 1979-2004

Sloetoe sloetoe at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 12:38:04 CDT 2006

--- Logan Park <park at vt.edu> wrote:
> Hey, while you're at it, Sloe... Just kidding.  I
> replaced my beat-up thruhike z-rest with a GG foam
pad a few months ago.  Cushy, affordable even on a
grad student salary-- what's not to like?
> Hop

### I should be getting a commission, you know?

Hey, for those thinking about it, I just wrote this:
> Can you help me figure out which current GG pad (if
any) is similar to the one you are recommending?
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/pad_matrix.html

> I know my pad needs to be either replaced or
> supplemented for both warmth and even on warmer
nights, comfort so I can sleep instead of toss and
turn all night.

### The thickness is the key. The original Mt. Wash.
was like the 3/4", and maybe 60" long. My kids use a
half of one, similar to the "torso pad" -- I've used
that when I really wanted to count ounces (and didn't
care about temps). The THINLITE's are flat, and do
yoeman duty for winter stuff, but I've used just the
full size 3/4" down to 0*F with no (noticeable) ill
effect. It remains a temptation, though, for winter
experimentation. But for padding (I'll admit I can
sleep on pretty much *anything* except a hammock), I
don't consider going below the 3/4".

sloetoe

Spatior! Nitor! Nitor! Tempero!
   Pro Pondera Et Meliora.