[at-l] rain jacket recommendations

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Fri Sep 29 19:02:35 CDT 2006

At 04:35 PM 9/29/2006 -0400, Joan wrote:

>  My son, who for years said he hated hiking, is now talking about
> backpacking the 70 miles in the Ocala National Forest this December (as a
> prelude to some AT time in the next year).  He wants a rain jacket that
> will have to do double duty as a lightweight jacket around campus.  I
> know it should have pit zips, and I know I don't want to pay a fortune
> for it.  What would you get?

Someone on this list recommended Red Ledge and
I dutifully bought one from Campor, about a year or
so back.  It fits your description.  I think maybe the
"Thunderlite" model. $40 at Campmor as I write this.

It's a decent jacket, light by town standards but
heavy by "ultralight" standards.  13.7 oz in its
cute little mesh stuff-sack.  It will keep him dry.
It's nicely made.  Has pit zips and ample, full-
length front pocket zips.  Should ventilate well.

To be honest, mine is really only used around
town.  A bit too heavy for long schleps.

rafe b
aka terrapin