[at-l] Any controls on this thing?

Raphael Bustin rafeb at speakeasy.net
Sat Sep 30 12:22:33 CDT 2006

At 12:17 PM 9/30/2006 -0400, Chainsaw wrote:

>I'm sure Tin Man will weigh in here shortly.
>However, in the meantime hoz'bout some more information?
>Size & shape of your pot?

Ancient boy scout aluminum pot, 5" diameter,
slightly rounded bottom edge.  Just under 3 cups
capacity (just enough for Liptons, with care.)

I tested indoors, -- no windscreen involved.
I wanted to watch the stove output carefully.

2nd try I used 7/8 oz.  Boiled 16 oz H20 in almost
exactly 5 minutes and the stove went out about 90
seconds later -- flames much better controlled.

I think my early attempts failed because I was
using the wrong kind of pot, without a lid.  So
now the only real question is regulation.
Clearly it's a very different kind of cooking.
Fuel needs to be metered **very** carefully,
and the real "cooking" happens after the stove
has gone out.  Flame-time is precious.

With a liquid gas stove, I've never really struggled
to conserve fuel, and simmering was no problem --
just turn a valve.  With that stove I use a 2 qt.
stainless pot (7.4 oz) but no lid, except maybe
the Liptons package itself.  Cooking is brainless
and easy.

The boy-scout pot weighs 4.8 oz with lid.

rafe b
aka terrapin