[at-l] Cherokee Tom

Richard Calkins racalkins at msn.com
Sat Apr 7 14:52:33 CDT 2007

Nah.  It can be done.  I fell off the trail at Fontana Dam in 2005 with a stress facture of my tibia and a meniscus tear in my knee.  Had the knee operated on, waited the absolute minimum time for the stress facture to heal, and got back on -- total time off was six weeks.  Later, I had obligations for scout camps with the kids that cost me another three weeks, so eventually I had to jump up north (to the Mass/Vermont border) to finish before they closed Baxter park.  Then, after summiting, I went back to Massachusetts and hiked south to finish up.

Hardest part was sitting at home for six weeks knowing all my friends were still out there hiking.  THAT was tough.  Fortunately, when I jumped up north, I plopped myself down in the middle of my 'mid-march' group of Springer Mountain friends, and hiked 600 miles from Vermont to Katahdin with them.  That made up for the long six weeks at home!  After "graduating with my class", I had another rather lonesome 500 miles to hike, but the fall is a beautiful time of year from Massachusetts to Pennmar, despite those 11 straight days of rain....

To me, that was the year I had planned to do my through-hike, so being home just wasn't where I was supposed to be.

cheers,
Longhaul