[at-l] "Special" AT trees...

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:25:02 CDT 2007

I see a lot of trees like those in the Adirondacks and even near home
(North of the Adirondacks). It is not due to human intervention
though. It is the result of foul weather. The arch trees are ones that
got bent over when young by heavy snows that stayed long enough that
when the snow melted, the tree stayed bent. It is very common with
birches but happens with others as well. The trees that go up then
suddenly shoot to one side are usually the result of the "leader" or
main stalk being broken in a storm or perhaps due to animal or insect
damage. A limb that grows out the side then becomes the new leader by
bending upward. Having witnessed the Ice Storm of '98 and the recovery
of damaged trees in it's aftermath I'm sorry to have to report that
Nature does do that, quite frequently. It even does it in patterns and
lines that follow the winds.

On 4/11/07, Linda Patton <lpatton at mailer.fsu.edu> wrote:
> Debbie Gilbert writes some interesting newspaper articles.  Here's one,
> "Group looks to map 'trail trees":
>
> http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/news/stories/20070411/localnews/166713.shtml
>
>         ~~ eArThworm

Jim Bullard