[at-l] "Special" AT trees...

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 20:17:40 CDT 2007

RE: The theory that the deformations were the result of Native
American 'trail marking'.

The theory suggests that it was the Cherokees who marked their trails
in this way. The removal of the Cherokees from that area to Oklahoma
occurred 169 years ago. That means that the affected trees would have
to be at least 175+ years old to have been large enough saplings for
such modification. Has anyone checked to see if these trees are that
old?

On 4/12/07, Carla & Dave Hicks <daveh at psknet.com> wrote:
> I'm not saying that humans, native or otherwise, didn't "make" such trees.  In
> fact, it make sense that they did -- to mark things.
>
> However, to say that nature could not do it is contrary to my experience.
>
> I have seen far younger trees in such formations.  I have seen spring poles
> (made by deadfalls, whole trees, or just tops) survive in a bent/arched over
> form.  Either the main leader turns back upwards, or a branch becomes the
> leader.  After some time, the deadfall rots away and strangely formed younger
> tree remains.  In the north snow can do it.
>
> As far south as PA, deer eat the tops out of trees (or just the terminal buds
> of the leader), often at some height off the ground -- while standing on
> packed snow.  Even farther south the leader, or its terminal bud, can be
> damaged by insect, wind, etc.  Again a strangely shaped tree can result.  This
> time it can rise straight up for some distant, make a right angle turn to the
> horizontal, run horizontally for a distance, and then make another right angle
> turn back to the vertical.  I have cut some of these only inches in diameter
> to make walking sticks.
>
> Chainsaw

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/