[at-l] They ain't lightnin' bugs...

Arthur Gaudet rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 22 07:45:27 CDT 2007

I've only seen similar bugs on one occasion, at William Brien Shelter on the AT
in Harriman SP:
(it was also the day I met Seiko, he occasionally helps out at Kincora in TN)

June 11, 2000
"Big rain storm today, along with a dark, greenish sky. I seriously thought we
were in for a tornado. Glad to be in a rock shelter, although I left my tent up
and it was fine. Seiko abandoned his tent in case any branches came down. After
dark walked around between showers and noticed glow-worms partially emerged from
holes in the ground. Weird."

As I remember it looked to be about 1/4 inch long, larger in diameter at the
glowing end than the other. The multiple legs tried to hold it in the ground
when I pulled one out.

And I have seen glowing fungus on rotted wood in Crawford Notch, near the AT.
Another example of bioluminescence.

--RockDancer