[at-l] Gear expense (was AT2008 Hiker List)

Mark Hudson mvhudson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 19:17:16 CDT 2007

The two pieces of gear I wouldn't "cheap" on are the shoes/boots and the
pack.
I used the quotes around cheap because I mean more than dollars spent. Spend
time on getting the right fit for both, regardless of the amount of money
spent. $400 boots that beat up your feet is money badly spent. If $30 shoes
from the bargain bin work for you, great.
OTOH if you have odd feet or require orthopedic inserts you can end up
spending a good chunk of money, the trick is to spend wisely.

Same with a pack with the fit and carry. You will be in intimate contact
with the boots and pack for the majority of each day. If you are a hardcore
ultralighter with frequent town stops a daypack may be all you need, but
most people need more than that.

The most important item of all is in your head....
Yeah, your brain (ie your attitude) will make you or break you regardless of
the gear. (Tho the right gear can really help your attitude)
Yin and Yang? Whatever... enjoy your hike!

skeeter