[at-l] How not to keep a journal...

Felix J athiker at smithville.net
Tue Aug 14 21:03:15 CDT 2007

(I don't know if this ever 'showed up' on the list, or not. So, by gum,
I'm sendin' it again)

People ALWAYS ask me if I kept a journal from my thru-hike...or, why I
didn't. Well, since the 9th anniversary of stuff keeps happening, I got
out my 'journal'. I don't think I've ever 'posted' this before...and,
may not have ever even read it after it was written.
(top of page one)

(in my sloppy....sloppy handwriting)

Thruhike '98

8-4 Katahdin. Beautiful day. Beautiful mountain. 5.2 up + back. Pokey
Hontas couldn't make it up. Saw a moose in my first pond. At Daicy Pond
w/ Pathfinder (John Bucheit)

totals for the day - AT
7.6 new AT   Daicy Pond
11.0 to Hurd Brook
11.5 to Rainbow Stream
10.7 to Nahmakanta Lake  tent   beautiful
11.0 to Antler's Camsite   tent   beautiful
7.9 to Cooper Brook L-t
11.7 to Logan Brook L-t
7.2 to Carl Newhall     Rain
11.6 to West Chairback Pond Campsite
90.2 miles
(second page)
10.5 to campsite near Long Pond Stream
13.8 to Highway 15 + Monson

Stayed 2 nights @ Shaw's   Good time  Good food.  $116  $30 Groceries
9 to campsite near Horseshoe Canyon
13 to Bald Mountain L-t  (Fringedweller)
14.7 to Caratunk Hostel  $20 + $10 food

151.2 AT miles
1114.8
1266.0 total AT.

151.2 in 15 days w/ 1 day off

(So, there ya go. That's why I don't keep a journal. Most of that was
written days after it 'happened')

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98