[at-l] NH news story

Felix J athiker at smithville.net
Wed Aug 15 18:42:56 CDT 2007

Mark Hudson wrote:
> http://www.wmur.com/news/13891971/detail.html
>
> I was going to say let me see your cat rescue you, but then I realized that
> your cat wouldn't be dumb enough to get lost with you... <g>
there's no way for you to say that without me saying...via 'cut and
paste'...this:

She had never heard of the Appalachian Trail, let alone been on it. That
didn’t stop Lizzie from taking to the footpath like a child to a swing
set. She set out on her first section hike with her eyes wide open and
her ears pinned back. There was no stopping her.

“Hold on, Lizzie,” I yelled. She looked back briefly, then continued up
the trail. She found a tree that, for some reason, she felt she should
pull some bark from. When she heard me getting close, she turned and
ignored me. It was obvious that she intended to stay in front of me this
afternoon.

The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. We were making pretty
good time this way. Plus, I didn’t have to be involved in one of the
countless one-sided conversations that had become a major part of our
relationship.

As I watched her scurrying along, sometimes several feet off the trail,
I couldn’t help but notice her grace and beauty. She was curious about
every trailside noise and eagerly went to investigate it. As soon as she
heard my footsteps, though, it was back to the trail and staying in
front of me.

You see I had angered Lizzie. Actually, I had angered her twice. During
lunch, before we had even hit the trail, two things happened that more
or less insured that I’d be watching Lizzie from a distance. They may
sound trivial now. But, at the time, to Lizzie, they were pretty important.

First, while filling our water bottles, I had turned the spigot on too
much. Water came out with such force that it knocked the bottle from my
hand, and splashed Lizzie. She was soaked. Then, while eating, I felt
that she had enough of her own food to not need some of mine. Something
as simple as a little water and not sharing a can of tuna and I was
condemned to an afternoon of hiking alone. An afternoon of being forced
to watch my sexy hiking partner from behind. She played the game too well.

I knew, however, that within a few tenths of a mile we would be at Pine
Swamp Branch Shelter, one of the mousiest shelters along the AT. This, I
figured, would be my chance to gain her favor again. This would be where
she would forget about tuna fish and remember me as the guy who is
always looking out for her. A true friend.

The only time she let me near her was when her attention was taken by a
pileated-woodpecker. I don’t think she’d ever seen a bird that large
from that close. The woodpecker looked like a chicken dancing on the
side of a poplar tree. She was nearly startled by the bird, and then me.
When she realized I was standing next to her, she jumped. She nearly ran.

Her pace picked up once she saw the shelter. I stopped to watch her
enter the structure, making sure everything was okay. I could see her
looking our night’s resting-place over with a keen eye. Every corner,
every cranny, was checked.

“How’s it look?” I asked as I walked in.

She gave me a blank look and walked around the corner and to the back of
the shelter. I got our bedding ready for the night. I could hear her
walking around in the leaves. It made me smile wondering what she was
looking for, and if she found it.

I gathered firewood from the woods around the shelter. I would
occasionally see her walking around, looking under the bunks, or in the
cracks of the rocks, for mice or anything else. She didn’t know I was
watching her, but she still made me smile.

As darkness settled in, so did her paranoia. Every noise got a look from
her inquisitive eye. She was still milling around, silent as ever, as I
lit the fire. The flames turned the shelter walls orange with warm light
dancing around.

She sat on the bottom bunk on the opposite side of the shelter. We both
watched the fire flicker and pop. I watched the reflection of the flame
in her eyes. She was beautiful.

“Well, I’m going to bed,” I said as I put the last of the wood on the
fire. I got into my sleeping bag and got comfortable. I laid and watched
her for a while. Her eyes moved back and forth like a kid watching
fireworks on the Fourth of July. She looked at every movement, every
shadow, and every noise.

I was just dozing off when she got into bed. It seemed like it took her
forever to get situated. But, then, it always does. Finally she snuggled
up against me. She started purring when I reached out and scratched her
head. She touched my lips with her paw. I knew she couldn’t stay mad at me.