[at-l] The Gathering

pudscrawler at aol.com pudscrawler at aol.com
Sat Aug 18 18:53:40 CDT 2007

I am posting this for two groups:? Women Hikers and at-l.

It is my understanding that we have a field reserved at the college where we can set up our tents.? I don't know what the arrangements are about showers or privies, but it does seem to me that we would not be allowed to set up housekeeping in that field without at least portapotties.? It would be great if announcements about this would be sent out to our various groups multiple times so that all of us, even those who are out hiking now, would have an opportunity to get the straight of it.

I think, emphasis THINK, that the drumming will take place at that field.

Then there are the motels, which, if you research it, are mostly multi-storied hotels.? Darn nice ones too, but pretty expensive on the whole.? Most near the campus are already sold out at least until cancellations start coming in.

There is, of course, Caledonia State Park and the motel at Fayetteville.? They are farther away but, I think, less expensive.

You all know all of this, so why am I going on and on?? Well, I have my old Woodall's Campground Directory.? As I indicated, it's kind of old.? In fact, if it were a child, it would be entering kindergarten this September.`Still, what was true for 2002 could be helpful in finding something in 2007.

Artillery Ridge Camping Resort has 3 out of 5 possible stars for its facilities (read shower and restrooms).? They have a place for your horse too if you want to bring him/her.? Their number is (717)334-1288.

Drummer Boy Camping Resort gets a 5 for its facilities.? Its number is 1-800-293-2808.? I'm told that it is 2.5 miles from the college.

Gettysburg Campground has 4 stars for its facilities.? Its telephone is (717)334-3304.

Granite Hill Campground (and Adventure Golf) has 4 stars for facilities.? The golf course has 18 holes.? 1-800-642-TENT.

The KOA has 4 stars for its facilities.? Its number is 1-800-KOA-1869.

Finally, there is Round Top Campground, also with 4 stars for its facilities.? (717)334-9565.

Again, this is an old directory.? There may be additional campgrounds now.?Phone numbers could have changed.? My eyes may have missed one of them.? Those are my caveats.

The main reason I decided to post this is that, after I made my reservation, I called the campground I'd chosen to ask to be placed in a more private spot.? (By then I had their map.)??They told me that they had no more sites left.? It seems that we are a part of an even greater event--fall colors.

Kinnickinic?