[at-l] Franconia Ridge in early winter

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Mon Dec 24 07:25:57 CST 2007

These pictures are amazing.  I love snow in the mountains.  We had a
lot of rain here in NH last night and the temperatures got into the
lower 50 degree range for awhile.  So, I suspect that hikers will be
using crampons rather than snowshoes since the temps have dropped
again well below freezing.  There is still plenty of snow on the
ground but it is covered with a thick coating of ice.  We must have
lost about 10 inches of the white stuff around my house which is
about 50 miles south of Mt Washington.  Enjoy the Holidays Everyone.

>For a picture of early winter in the White Mountains, here's a short
>report and
>photos from 2 traverses of the Franconia Ridge done yesterday (12/22).  Both
>show that marvelous phenomenon called  "undercast", where you are looking
>down at the top of the cloud layer.
>
>report # 1:
><http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19555>http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19555
>photos: