[at-l] Quiting smooking -- [Was: Re: Holiday Greetings & a New Year's res...

Bror8588 at aol.com Bror8588 at aol.com
Thu Dec 27 11:10:18 CST 2007

I quit on New Year's Eve in 1975 when I sprained my ankle.  I had just
bought a carton of Marlboroughs and I went out to help a friend and slipped down
my outside stairs.  I made in up the stairs with great pain and then asked  my
girls to go and get my cigarettes from the car.  They consulted each  other
and then said NO!  I couldn't crawl to the car because there was  slush between
the house and the car.  Wet slush!!!  No amount of stern  ordering or cajoling
or bribing would get them to obey their father.  The  sprain was a bad one.
Three days later I decided to quit.  Well, I  had quit three days before I
decided but I made a conscious decision when I  found I could survive without
them.  At the time I was a three-pack-a-day  smoker.  One after another all day
long.  So, without my fix of  nicotine I could only remember what it was like
to take that first drag in the  morning and after my coffee (or when I was
drinking my coffee during the day)  and so on.  Three days.  I gave the carton to
someone and have now  been free of the habit for 32 years.  Now -- cigarettes
irritate me.   Why is everyone so suicidal?  It is a slow death but I have
seen patients  who suffered from Emphysema and Lung Cancer.  Not a nice way to
go.  I  am glad I stopped smoking when I did.

Jack Skylander