[at-l] Off topic - Audio question

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 22:57:01 CST 2007

skeeter wrote:>The radio reception where I live is lousy, so I have the computer tied into>the stereo so I can use on-line radio.>To do this I have a splitter (so I have the computer speakers wired in too,>the stereo is in another room), and then a RCA left/right channel jack>plugged into the splitter. With all these jacks plugged one into another I>can't believe that I'm picking up a 60Hz hum someplace ;  )>Does somebody have a more elegant solution than what I have?Long ago and far away we had the same problem with spacecraft.  At one point (mid-60s) we
had a spacecraft isolated from the 60-cycle and the base-level 60-cycle AC voltage was well
over 100 volts although with very little (low milli-amp range) current flow. Grounding the
spacecraft frame eliminated the problem, but it doesn't always work that easily. Somewhere
I still have the book that that incident generated. A whole new engineering discipline (EMI)
came out of that.

You have the same problem we had - an ungrounded system that's reflecting the ambient 60
cycle of the house current. Putting it through the stereo probably amplifies it so it's audible.
One  solution is to ground the system - probably at the shell of the splitter, although that's
only a guess on my part.  Another solution might be to go wireless.  That would be more
expensive, although (maybe?) more elegant.

Good luck - let us know what happens,
Jim
http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/