[at-l] Knock, knock. Anybody home?

Linda Patton lpatton at mailer.fsu.edu
Sun Feb 4 14:00:40 CST 2007

Not a knock-knock joke.  Just wondering if list was down 'cause I haven't
seen any posts for a few days.

Went on a hike yesterday, on the Florida Trail along the Sopchoppy River
which was ten-feet-plus above normal level and across the trail in many
places.  Seven of us got almost two miles in, wading through water over our
knees in some places, until we got to a spot that completely blocked us--
river to the left of us, deep swamp as far as we could see to the right of
us, and water in front of us that got crotch-deep as I waded in and probe
showed to be MUCH deeper in the next step or two. So we turned back,
disappointed.  But it was FUN! and COLD (about 40 degrees)!  Will try to
get some photos up in next few days.

The occasion was the ribbon-cutting for the new Monkey Creek Bridge,
but the ceremony had to take place about 2.5 miles away from the bridge
site, due to the flooding.  This bridge is quite a deal--first one like
it on the Fla. Trail, and officially reopening a very scenic portion of
the trail that had been cut off for years when the old bridge went out.
There had been a long, unscenic, road-walk reroute around it. So this is
major.  See video at http://youtube.com/watch?v=s2t84AhRll0   My big
screen house appears at 00:08 in.  At 03:08 you'll see Chuck Goodheart who
is the manager of the park where my 7-mile trail is located.

	~~ eArThworm