[at-l] icy patch

Shelly Hale shellydhale at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 5 13:03:10 CST 2007

Thank you for sharing the link, Ryan.

You know so often the trails, woods, nature, et al, it gives us what we
need--sometimes even when we don't know what it is or that we even need
anything at all.

If we go out there looking for something specific, we don't always find it.
And, I think that is because we truly aren't ready for it--and somehow the
greater forces that be know this.  However, when we least expect it but are
ready for it... "trail magic" is simply bestowed upon us.

How many of us have found ourselves...when in the real world we somehow
faded into the every day way of things?

Been given courage...like to cross a stream when we can't swim or jump
boulders when we're afraid to fall?

Find that long lost self-esteem because we conquered that mountain
climb...or walked over 2000 miles or did something else when others didn't
think we could or the pain told us to stop?

Some have even found the love of their life out there when all hope of ever
being able or capable of loving was gone.

And, you know what else?  I don't know exactly what it is about the woods
that allows us to be in a more accepting state and prepared for our "magical
gifts."

Perhaps it is the serenity of nature that allows us to let our guards down
that we erect in the noisy and distracting civilization cluttered with
emotional, mental, and physical baggage and trash.

Perhaps it is that the woods are "real" and we somehow translate that into
an ability to become real and genuine again as we once were as children.

Perhaps it is that the beauty of nature touches us in such a way that we
again let our hearts beat and FEEL.  We remember how to breathe.  And,
remember life is to be LIVED.

I choose to live, therefore I hike.

Tenacious (Peyton Manning life-time fan) Tanasi
Shell-no e-(GO COLTS!!!)y