[at-l] Dairy on the trail (was ramen noodles thai dish)

Mara Factor m_factor at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 14:11:39 CST 2007

I started out carrying  powdered milk but gave that up pretty early on.  It
just seemed an unnecessary hassle both for cooking, and for the mess it made
making cleaning more difficult.

As for fat, I carried butter.  It tastes better than margarine and needs no
refrigeration so keeps quite well on the trail - at least until it gets too
warm to stay reliably solid.  Just package it carefully so if it does melt,
it stays well contained.

Plus, butter is a nice option to spread on bagels, etc.

Keep in mind, if you do keep butter in the heat too long, it will go rancid
(which might make it smell and taste funny) but it doesn't spoil nearly fast
enough to worry about on the trail.

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor