[at-l] gear list for AT thru hike

Gary Ticknor garyticknor at starpower.net
Mon Feb 5 18:22:04 CST 2007

Clothing is not as exciting as most gear choices, but probably will
affect your >>hike<< the most after footgear and pack weight. What
clothing exactly, and what weights, item by item?

Also, when sending us gear weights, don't rely on the manufacturer
(i.e., Cabella Eureka Zeus EXO Tent, carry weight weight 3-7) but rather
weigh it yourself, as manufacturers are notorious for "estimating" way
light. Weigh to the nearest ounce. Weigh everything, item by item, and
don't estimate.

You will be spending all day hiking, up and down mountains. Big
mountains. Weight (not money) will be constantly on your mind until you
get it down. When you find yourself thinking about food all day instead,
your pack weight is probably okay.

- Greenbriar