[at-l] gear list for AT thru hike

Dennis Gass dennis at katom.com
Mon Feb 5 21:10:13 CST 2007

I haven't done a thru (yet), but I have learned the lessons the hard way
about buying gear.  Excellent advice being shared with you online:
ounces counting a lot more than money.  If you don't start out listening
to the sage advice you're likely to spend two to three times that amount
as you buy the second tent, second pack, heck...second set of everything
that you buy the first time.  Myself, I'm pretty stubborn and got 3 or 4
of a lot of things before I figured out that the price of it and
marketing had nothing to do with the quality or practicality.  You just
missed the Southern Ruck and Pennsylvania Ruck where you could have met
with a bunch of the folks that are experts (definitely not me) and seen
their gear and heard their experiences.  Can someone chime in
here...isn't there a Trail Days and some other Gathering coming up
before Kevin will need to buy gear for a 2008 thru?  I don't know the
dates, but they might be good.  You didn't share what part of the
country you live in, but there might be folks from the list willing to
help you out.  "As one senator said many years ago: A million here, a
million there, pretty soon you're talking about some real money."
Converted into Trailspeak "An ounce here, an ounce there, pretty soon
you're talking about some serious pounds, a worn out hiker with sore
knees and injuries that he shouldn't oughta had"
Mara wrote:
If you're new to backpacking and don't already have all of your
equipment
(or your gear is still new and you may rethink some if it), try to
borrow
some from friends to find out what you like and what you don't like.