[at-l] gear list for AT thru hike

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 22:33:39 CST 2007

Kevin Kirby wrote:
>Below is my gear list for my 2008 AT hike from GA>ME. Please feel free to
>give advice, feedback, what should i add, what should I remove, ETC.

Kevin:
What's happening to you here is something called "Tuckerizing" (See:
http://members.aol.com/pog2004/tuck.html ).  It's sometimes painful, and
like sulfur and molasses, it's sometimes really hard to swallow.  But it's
also good for you - because it enhances your probability of finishing the
trail.  So - I'll add a few comments -

>Backpack (At least 3,500 cu.in): $120.00 Cabela’s XPG™ 4000 Ultra light
>Internal Frame Pack

At 4# 13 oz it's a little on the heavy side, but not outta sight.  Ginny and
I used ULA packs (40 0z) for our CDT hike last year - we'll use the same
packs this year for the GET and GDT.  ULA - the URL is:
http://www.ula-equipment.com/

>Tent: $120.00 Cabela’s XPG ultra light weight 1 person tent

4# 1 oz double wall - not terrible, but still ---- heavy.  We started the
CDT last year with a Nomad 2for2 (2# - no longer available), then switched
to a Henry Shires tarp tent (Squall2 - 39 oz) when the zipper on the Nomad
broke.  You'd probably want the Rainbow - at 30 oz.  Henry's website is:
http://www.tarptent.com/products.html

Alternatively, try Six Moon Designs at: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/
Mmmmm - Six Moon Designs also has lightweight packs.

>Sleeping bag liner: $55.00

Hmmm - the crux of the matter is:  where's the sleeping bag?  There ARE
techniques for using only a liner - I don't think you really want to use
them.  They involve very little sleep.  A 20 degree bag is "usually"
sufficient for the AT - using just a liner means you'll  likely be buying
either a 20 degree bag or a ticket home at Neels Gap.

>Ground Cloth*:$15.00

Why?

>Sleeping Pad: $45.00 therma-rest sleeping pad

We've used Ridgerest for 4 thruhikes.  OTOH - they don't work for everyone.
And the shelter floors are REALLY HARD.  But then we haven't used a shelter
for the last 3 thruhikes.

>Backpack cover: $30.00

Make sure it's silnylon.

>Gators: $30.00

Hmm - Ginny and I - combined trail miles - at least 35,000.
We use gaiters only in heavy snow.

>Nylon Cord: $10.00
>Backpacking alcohol stove: $50.00

We finally converted to alcohol for this last thru - used a stove that was
given to us.  Cost = $0
If you feel the need to buy one, try Antigravity Gear at:
http://www.antigravitygear.com/
It'll be cheaper.

>Stove Fuel: $60.00

At $1.29 to $1.49 per bottle, that'a a lot of fuel.

>Backpacking Pot or Pan: $55.00

You can get a Titanium pot at REI for $49.95 or a 2 qt aluminum pot at
Antigravitygear for $10.

>Eating Utensils: $3.00
>Hiking Boots or Trail Shoes: $80.00(if current ones do not fit)

As Hoplite said - plan on multiple pairs of boots.  I won't tell you how
many pairs I trashed last year.

>Sandals or Water Shoes/Crocs: $35.00
>2 Pairs (at least) of Synthetic or Wool Socks: $70.00(including sock
>liners)

Sock liners make blisters for most people.  At $12-14 per pair, socks are
not quite that expensive.  But you'll need more than 2 pairs.

>Clothing: $500.00(includes rainwear, hats, etc.)
>Gloves (type per environment): $20.00
>Biodegradable Soap:$10.00

We carried a 2 oz bottle from Mexico to Canada last year - never used it,
never needed it.

>Duct Tape or Equal Equivalent: $7.00

There is no "equvalent".  But you shouldn't need that much.  At least not
for a thru.

>Sunglasses*: $15.00

Don't use cheap sunglasses - your eyes won't thank you.

>Pack Towel: $20.00

As Sir Toe said: it absorbs moisture.  That makes it heavier.  Use a
bandanna - it'll absorb the water - but dry faster.

>Lighter:$10.00

2006 - CDT - 2600 miles - one lighter plus one spare - $1.95 each.  YMMV

>Empty large water bottles for extra water on trail: no money

Never carry empty water bottles - they're just extra weight.  Use soda
bottles - or, as we do, - Gatorade bottles (cheap, light, easily replaceable
and you get to drink the original contents).  We do carry a 10 qt water sack
(4 oz) for hauling water to camp from the springs that are a half mile off
trail.  Others use dromedaries, Platypus  or other types of water
containers.

>Water Purifier or Purification Tabs/Drops: $85.00 Aqua Mira
>First Aid Kit: $80.00 (First Aid Booklet/Guide, Antiseptic, Anti-diarrhea,
>Ibuprofen, benadryl, Gauze Pads, Moleskin, Tweezers, Burn Treatment Kit,
>Adhesive Tape, Safety Pins, Sun Burn Treatment, Snake Bite Kit, Vitamins,
>Blister Kit)

Snake bite kit is not just useless but actively dangerous to those who think
they need it.  Learn about snake bite before heading for Springer.  Leave
the book at home - learn your First Aid before you hit the trail.  You're
missing something vital - sun lotion.  Use it in the South - the sun will
fry your ears (and maybe your nose).  You can make your own first aid kit
for a lot less money.

>Bug Repellant: $7.00

We (meaning both of us combined) have never used a full one oz bottle of
Deet on any of the long trails.  On the AT we didn't need it at all until
Mass.  Some people find it necessary in Conn. or even NJ.

>Trowel: $5.00(buy online)

Use a tent stake - half the weight, twice the durability - REI - SMC
Sno-tent stake ---
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&vcat=REI_SEARCH&query=tent+stakes&x=24&y=15

>Toilet Paper: $10.00
>Sewing Kit (Assorted Needles & Thread): $5.00
>Headlamp: $30.00
>Batteries (Appropriate per equipment): $30.00
>Backpacking Knife or Multi-tool: $25.00

$4 - 1.5 inch single blade - about 1 oz - used for 2400 miles last year and
still going.  IMO multitools are overkill.

>Compass/ Whistle: $12.00

Sent the compass home from Neels Gap on the AT - the whistle never made the
cut for any trail - never needed it.  You won't need the compass until you
get to the Mexican border on the CDT.  THEN you'll need it.

>Plastic Bags: $20.00
>Total cost for first section: $2,155
>Food: $2,000.00
>Everything else that will come up on trail: $1,250.00(laundry, hostels,
>hotels, restaurant food, mail,  ETC..)
>Plane Tickets to Wisconsin: $120.00(Air Tan Airways)
>Any shuttle service to the mountain: $100.00
>Emergency money: $500.00
>

>Total cost for second section: $4,120
>Total cost for sections combined: $6,285

On the off-chance that you haven't read them, I'll recommend these two bits
of "gear talk" :

http://spiriteaglehome.com/THP%20gear.html

http://spiriteaglehome.com/TH%20gear.html

Now - all this being said - you'll carry what you want to carry.  And that's
the way it should be.
Hike your own hike.

Finally - don't get cranked up about all this - what you've gotten from me -
and the others - is the result of a lot of miles of experience.  It's meant
to help you - not hurt you.  But if you don't take it to heart, if you don't
use it, then none of us will miss any meals or lose any sleep over it.  And
you just might finish your thruhike - your way.  It happens - sometimes.
<G>

For me, this was fun - haven't done this in a couple years.  It reminds me
of the things I did when I first started - of things that I don't do anymore
- and sometimes, of things that I shouldn't be doing now.  <VBG>

In any case, I'll wish you a good hike -
Walk softly,
Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/